Like slicing bread with a chainsaw, the Fed still has more dirty work to do to tame inflation, says storied Wall Street veteran
- Cathie Wood says Jerome Powell should put away Paul Volcker’s sledgehammer
- Powell says the Fed won’t be distracted by politics as it moves strongly to bring inflation down
- ECB delivers jumbo 75-basis-point rate hike as inflation hits record
- U.S. stocks edging lower as investors weigh remarks by Fed chief Powell
Ask the Moneyist My son asked me to set up a 529 plan for his 5-year-old daughter. My granddaughter says, ‘Who’s nana?’ Should I set up a college trust fund for a child who does not even know who I am?
- ‘Things are rocky between us’: My girlfriend and I sold our Florida home. Our $200,000 profit was wired to her account. She refuses to give me my fair share.
- ‘I will be dead before my student loan is paid off’: I work as a nurse in a public hospital, yet I never seem to qualify for loan forgiveness. Will Biden’s plan help?
U.S. initial jobless claims fall to 3½-month low of 222,000, and layoffs remain near record low
- Is this the last-chance saloon for job switchers? If there’s a recession, the labor market may not be so rosy.
- ‘When hiring slows, Black workers get pushed so far back that they drop out’
- In America, it’s legal for kids as young as 12 to work on small farms. One former child laborer describes ‘dangerous and back-breaking work.’
Opinion: Tim Cook didn’t have ‘one more thing,’ so Apple offered consumers a break, for once
How inflation could affect 2023 tax brackets: You may get an unexpected ‘tax cut,’ in a way
Having a baby? The first year can easily set you back nearly $16,000. Add that to recession fears, rising prices and job insecurity.
Trending VideoGo to Video Center
ShiftPixy stock soars on record volume, after plan to spin off ShiftPixy Labs business
Shares of ShiftPixy Inc. skyrocketed 84.1% in very active morning trading Thursday, enough to make them the biggest gainers trading on major U.S. exchanges, after the gig-economy focused workforce management company announces plans to spin off its ShiftPixy Labs business. Trading volume reached 7.1 million shares in the first half hour after the open, already more than triple the stock's previous one-day volume record of 2.2 million shares set Sept. 1, 2022. As part of the spinoff, the company said it will transfer ShiftPixy Labs' Virtual Brand development pipeline and technology stack to a wholly owned subsidiary, ShiftPixy Labs Inc., which will then be "dividended" to ShiftPixy shareholders of record on Sept. 8. The stock has still plunged 82.4% year to date, while the Nasdaq Composite has dropped 24.9%.
How to save money and be healthier in retirement, unretirement trends, and calculating the 2023 COLA
News and analysis for those planning for or living in retirement